Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I want to write

I quit my job a few months back. The pointlessness of it all had become unbearable. After a long time - actually for the first time in my life I have nothing to do, nowhere to get to, no timelines, no deadlines…nothing. I like nothing.

Today I have spent most of my day sleeping … have seen 2 movies and then I wanted to write… you know one of those days when you have to HAVE TO write and are stumped coz there’s nothing to say – but as I have already said that I like nothing I am going to write away. Lets hope it makes sense!

I was wondering how I got here (in a good way)... you know stuff you think about when you have nothing else to think about... abt destiny... whether life chooses a path or the destination. How the little choices we make make who we are... how when a butterfly flaps its wings somewhere and theres a storm someplace else(or a tornado...u know what i mean)...jab saabu ko gussa aata hai kahin jwalamukhi phatta hai (no...thats different).

I was born with a particular amount of, for the lack of a better word, intelligence – I am brighter than your average chap on the road – so I was meant to be first in class… I quite liked it too and it was rarely difficult. So after my X boards it was an obvious choice that I would take science… with Math & Bio… primarily coz I wanted to have the option of being a Doctor or an Engineer open for another 2 years (I am neither now).

While I waited for my engineering results (I did get into RECs… though not IIT – wonder what that would have been like) I enrolled in Miranda House… Economics (Economics sounded nice…had heard much about the subject) …quite liked Micro-eco… so gave up the engineering thing and stayed on in Delhi. Some one asked me what I wanted to be and I said “a Banker” (huh! Why? Cant remember!)

So a few years on I was a banker… having done an MBA… earning more than a few lakhs… living on my own in the maximum city… and then I quit.

It wasn’t what I wanted, wasn’t the life I wanted to lead, wasn’t anything at all. The most amusing was how people looked at me as if I was crazy for quitting without having another job in hand… to top it all I told them it’s because I was bored. It was fun messing with them but that lost its charm way too quickly – people & their reactions are predictable... very very predicatble.

I am back now… to the city of djinns (Delhi…for the ones who don’t read Dalrymple).

Kaun jaaye Zauq par Dilli ki galiyan chod kar J


9 comments:

  1. :) awesome...u shud look at writing more of autobiographical or travelogue stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. darling!

    nothingness is precious!

    spend it wisely.. meeting poor frnds who're still in the grind :)

    come to b'lore too soon :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Mittu - don't think the world is ready for a tell-all ... and widout it its jus no fun ;)

    @ Meeku... see u in less than a month boy... i hear thrz a piano in the plush 3 BHK!! is d house all white too????

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey... 3bhk is indeed there.. and it is... nicer than you can picture right now :P

    CAN'T hardly wait for you guys to all be here :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read this before on fb but did not comment (u knw why)...as it wud hve been another brick in the wall thr...
    Ur gud at this 'my story' kinda stuff...so I agree wit Mirat here...
    Just an idea...think of penning down smething on each of ur trips...wats ur take on those regions and ppl...share if u feel like...but stil pen down and keep wit u...

    Baaki to u rock! Always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One city to the other. Each special. William D. got the imagery about Delhi quite interesting in his book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kudos for the decision! As they say - today is the first day of the rest of your life...

    ...so what's next now...any inklings yet?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Anil -- hey ... checked out ure blog -- and sooo connected with it! Am reading William D's The age of Kali now... he paints a vivid picture of india

    @ Shishir -- :) well i have a vague direction...lets see where that takes us dont know for sure...but i do know tht it will be fun...

    ReplyDelete